Reporting to the Manager of Extract Development, the Research Chemist participates in the creation and/or improvement of products and processes. Working within the Research and Development (R&D) team, the incumbent works to identify the compounds that make up various substances and determines how they interact with other chemicals, in an effort to find practical applications that improve the consumer experience.
- Continuously search for advanced technologies and ideas within and outside of the cannabis industry by researching and benchmarking solutions with respect to processes for the purification of organic molecules from plant biomass.
- Extract and isolate cannabinoids and other compounds by preparatory chromatography, crystallization, distillation and other techniques as appropriate.
- Optimize the purification processes for scale-up by making appropriate modifications of known methods or modification of process conditions.
- Write research protocols and technical reports with a high degree of detail and scientific acumen.
- Analyze and identify compounds using a range of modern separation and spectroscopic techniques. This will include interpretation of GC-MS, HPLC-MS/DAD, polarimetry, and IR spectra of moderate complexity.
- Define technical requirements and what is needed in terms of equipment, design of experiment (DOE) and set appropriate priorities and project goals with the project team.
- Keep records of all work performed and write reports for intellectual property protection and development.
- Write SOPs and protocols for newly developed chemical processes.
- Other duties as assigned.
- B.Sc. in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering with 2-5 years of experience or PhD in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering with 0-4 years of relevant experience required.
- Experience in the either the petrochemical, pharmaceutical, agricultural or nutraceutical industry is preferred.
- Expertise in purification and isolation process development with an emphasis on using techniques such solvent extraction, preparatory chromatography, crystallization and distillation.
- Demonstrated track record of taking product concepts to finished products ready for commercial manufacturing and marketing.
- Knowledge of GMP and Cannabis Regulations is highly desirable.
- Ability to work in an independent, organized, and efficient manner in a fast-paced and demanding work environment.
How to Apply
Candidates must be able and willing to work from our Montreal location and must not have a legal impediment to employment.
If you’re interested in joining the Hexo Corp team and taking on a new, exciting challenge within our Innovation team, please send us your resume via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all candidates for their interest. However, only selected candidates will be contacted.