Intellectual Property | Kanata, ON | Permanent | Full Time
The Patent Agent will immediately contribute to the organisation’s IP strategy and work collaboratively with various groups across the organisation, including Hexo’s Innovation, Development and Engineering (IDE) team, Legal team and Business Development to identify and protect invention opportunities. As Hexo’s Patent Agent, you will actively participate in and support all patent and IP-related matters for Hexo with an emphasis on its patent portfolio, including harvesting and mining of inventions, elaboration of protection strategies, active management of patent portfolios, development of best practices and IP-related guidelines, directing the drafting, filing and prosecution of patent applications in Canada and various jurisdictions worldwide, freedom to operate analyses, and participating in IP education and awareness activities across the organisation. The successful candidate is a strategic thinker, a strong independent worker, and quick learner with an ability to provide valuable recommendations to IDE and the rest of the business.
- Prepare, file and prosecute patent applications in Canada, the United States and the rest of the world in-house and with outside counsel;
- Review invention disclosures and work with inventors to evaluate and assess the patentability of innovations;
- Participate in IP mining sessions with IDE and other stakeholders to extract maximum IP value from technology;
- Work with the IDE team to proactively develop IP protection strategies;
- Assist with patent clearance activities when required;
- Assist with patent litigation activities when required;
- Ensure and manage proper implementation and workflow of IP strategy;
- Support and educate management and other stakeholders on relevant legislation, regulations, policies, case law or best practices relating to IP;
- Review agreements, sales and promotional material to identify potential IP issues;
- Assist in developing and implementing policies and procedures relating to IP
- Registered and admitted to practice before the USPTO or Canadian Patent Office;
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in chemistry, chemical engineering, biochemistry, biology or other relevant technical degree – graduate degree considered a strong asset;
- Law degree from an accredited law school – considered an asset;
- Minimum 5 years of experience with a law firm or in-house evaluating invention disclosures, drafting, filing and prosecuting patent applications in Canada and abroad, and managing patent portfolios;
- Experience with conducting infringement or freedom to operate investigations – considered an asset;
- Experience with agreements involving technology and intellectual property matters, including drafting intellectual property agreements or clauses when requested – considered an asset;
- Superior professional judgement, diplomacy and relationship building skills;
- Strong time management, planning and organizational skills to manage competing priorities and deadlines;
- Self-motivated with an ability and desire to work in a fast-paced environment;
- Excellent time management skills and ability to prioritize tasks;
- Strong oral and written communication skills, fluently bilingual in both French and English (written and oral) – considered a strong asset;
- Some occasional travel may be required.
How to Apply
Candidates must be able and willing to work from our Kanata location and must not have a legal impediment to employment.
If you’re interested in joining the Hexo Corp team and taking on a new, exciting challenge, please send us your resume via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all candidates for their interest. However, only selected candidates will be contacted.